– Fleetwood birdies playoff hole with his Method prototype putter to take home the Johnnie Walker Championship trophy –
BEAVERTON, Ore. (August 26, 2013) – Nike Athlete Tommy Fleetwood triumphed through a three-way sudden-death playoff to capture his very first European Tour title at the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles in Perthshire, Scotland.
The 22-year-old Englishman, who had 14 Nike clubs in his bag, eagled the 16th and birdied the final hole to set up a playoff on the par-5 18th. Fleetwood, playing with the Nike 20XI golf ball featuring Nike’s RZN core technology, hit a stellar approach shot before sinking a three-footer for birdie with his Method prototype putter to lock up the win.
“It’s unbelievable,” Fleetwood said. “I have been up there a lot and not even had a top-five finish and all of a sudden you come away with a win. I’ve always loved the golf course, I’ve always loved Scotland, and it just seems like it was meant to be.”
Fleetwood was fourth overall in driving distance for the tournament, averaging more than 311 yards off the tee with his Nike VR_S Covert driver. He kept dry in the Nike Golf Tour Performance apparel collection and wore Nike Lunar Control footwear.
Fleetwood’s Nike Golf Arsenal
Driver: Nike VR_S Covert 8.5-degree (Kura Kage Silver 60xts)
Fairway Wood: Nike VR_S Covert 3-wood/15-degree
Hybrid: VR Pro 18-degree
Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo Split Cavity (4); VR Pro Combo Blade (5-9)
Wedges: Nike VR Pro 47-degree, 52-degree, 56-degree, 60-degree
Putter: Nike Method prototype
Ball: Nike 20XI
Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Performance Collection
Footwear: Nike Lunar Control
Nike Golf’s 2013 PGA Tour Victories
• Tiger Woods – WGC-Bridgestone Invitational
• Tiger Woods – The Players Championship
• Tiger Woods – WGC Cadillac Championship
• Tiger Woods – Arnold Palmer Invitational
• Scott Brown – Puerto Rico Open
• Tiger Woods – Farmers Insurance Open
• Russell Henley – Sony Open
Nike Golf’s 2013 International Victories
• Tommy Fleetwood – Johnnie Walker Championship (European Tour)
• Paul Casey – The Irish Open (European Tour)
• Scott Jamieson – The Nelson Mandela Championship (European Tour)
• Charl Schwartzel – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
Nike Golf’s 2013 LPGA Tour Victories
• Suzann Pettersen – LPGA LOTTE Championship
Nike Golf’s 2013 Ladies International Victories
• Suzanne Pettersen – Mission Hills World Ladies’ Golf Championship
Nike Golf’s 2013 Web.com Victories
• Kevin Tway – Boise Open
• Jamie Lovemark – Midwest Classic
Nike Golf’s 2013 European Challenge Tour Victories
• Dylan Frittelli – Karnten Open
1 thought on “Nike Athlete Tommy Fleetwood clinches first European Tour victory in playoff thriller”
Tony Korologos liked this on Facebook.
Comments are closed.